Sound Insulation Testing

Testing for Approved Document E from £350 + VAT

Get Your Free Copy Here

If you are building new flats, apartments, or attached houses, or if you are converting a building into flats, Building Control requires both airborne and impact sound insulation testing to show compliance with Approved Document E of the Building Regulations.

dBx Acoustics Ltd is accredited by UKAS (testing laboratory number 9473) to carry out sound insulation testing for Building Control compliance. Our professional technical team carries out testing throughout the UK and can also offer you advice on designing and selecting partitions before you start work on site if you are unsure how to proceed.

Our UKAS Accredited sound tests mean that you have peace of mind that your testing will be carried out in accordance with all of the relevant British Standards (including BS EN ISO 140 Part 4 and BS EN ISO 140 Part 7), and compliant with the reporting requirements of Approved Document E.

The United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) is the sole national accreditation body for the United Kingdom. UKAS is recognised by government, to assess against internationally agreed standards, organisations that provide certification, testing, inspection and calibration services. Accreditation by UKAS demonstrates the competence, impartiality and performance capability of these evaluators. In short, UKAS ‘checks the checkers’. UKAS is independent of Government.

Sound Insulation Test Pricing


Our prices start from as little as £350 + VAT for a small development. Call us on 0161 711 0320 for a detailed quote for your project, or email us.

Before you call, it helps if you can be ready to send us the following information;

  • Number of dwellings and layout (ideally, just send us the floor plans)
  • Is the project a new build or a conversion?
  • Where is the development?


When Do I Need Sound Insulation Tests?


You’ll need to have acoustic testing carried out if;

  • You’re building new-build apartments, student rooms, hotel rooms, nursing home rooms etc
  • You’re building new attached houses
  • You’re converting an existing house or office/commercial building into apartments
  • Building Control have asked for Approved Document E testing
  • You are building a school (Approved Document E regulation E4 applies)

You may also want acoustic testing to verify the performance of existing constructions before work is carried out, or if you need to demonstrate performance for BREEAM or BS 8233.

Am I Ready for Acoustic Testing?


Don’t leave your sound insulation testing until the last minute – it’s important to know as early as possible if there are problems on site that you need to fix. As a minimum, we ask for the following to be ready on site;

  • Windows are complete with locks in place and closeable
  • Window trickle vents are in place or temporarily blocked up for testing
  • Room and front doors are in place and closeable
  • Power, TV/satellite, telephone sockets etc. on party wall are in place if appropriate
  • All wall surfaces in rooms to be tested are complete with no holes
  • Floors and ceiling surfaces are complete (but carpets not laid), walls and ceilings are plastered
  • Cornice and skirting boards are in place
  • 240v power sockets are live or 110v is available in each test room
  • Rooms to be tested must be clear of building materials
  • Site staff made aware that no noise will be permitted during the tests

How Can You Book a Test With Us?

We make things as easy as possible for you – give us a call on 0161 711 0320, or simply fill in the contact form below. We can usually be on site within a week and you’ll have your report within 48 hours of the tests being completed. You can book as far in advance as you like to be sure of getting a slot in the diary so whatever stage your project is at, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us

Request a Call Back